Medical Work in Australia
Australia is an extremely popular work destination for internationally trained medical doctors and allied health professionals. Australia offers first class medical training, modern facilities and dynamic teaching and research centers in the context of a strong and vibrant free market economy. As well as these qualities it is often the many and obvious life style factors that attract people to the country. The vast landscape and varying temperate and tropical climates provide a range of new and varied work and life experiences. The major Australian cities are European in style, the largest being Sydney with a population of 4.3 million closely followed by Melbourne. Whether you are looking for metropolitan, coastal, rural or remote placements Medipeople provides an extensive range of exciting medical and allied health work opportunities.
Basics about the healthcare system:
- The Australian health system is a mixture of public and private services administered by the federal and state governments
- The Australian federal government funds medical services through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits scheme
- The state and territory governments regulate and fund public hospitals and other community health services
- The Australian healthcare system is funded by taxation, a Medicare levy and contributions through private health insurance.
Registration in Australia as a Health Practitioner
The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) is the organisation responsible for the implementation of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme across Australia. AHPRA supports the ten health practitioner’s board:
The 10 National Boards are:
- Chiropractic Board of Australia
- Dental Board of Australia
- Medical Board of Australia
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- Optometry Board of Australia
- Osteopathy Board of Australia
- Pharmacy Board of Australia
- Physiotherapy Board of Australia
- Podiatry Board of Australia
- Psychology Board of Australia
For each health board there are several pathways available for registration. The correct pathway for you will be influenced by the position you have been offered in Australia as well as other factors including college assessments.
Medipeople assists and supports international candidates in negotiating all aspects of medical registration and provides ongoing strategic planning for candidates. We make sure candidates apply for the correct pathway and assess applications to avoid any delay in the registration process.
Obtaining a working visa for Australia
Due to Australia’s skills shortage in the health industry the Australian government has developed programmes to assist Australian employers to import skills. Medipeople can assist both employers and employees to apply for the appropriate visa to meet both parties’ specific requirements. Our dedicated and professional team will be able to assist individuals to plan and provide a tailor made solution to your long term goals.
If you are looking for a position in Australia please go to the left hand side of this page and click on Register with Medipeople now.